Monday, January 21, 2013

Tiger Stripes Quilts


Aren't twins fun? Some friends of ours have boy/girl twins that are 3 1/2 months younger than my little guy. Their parents are big Mizzou fans, so my husband and I decided that black and gold quilts were the way to go. 

I was inspired by this pin on pinterest. Chevrons are so popular right now, but I really liked the rhythm this had. It didn't hurt that I thought it looked a bit like tiger stripes! (Missouri's mascot is the Tigers).

When I had Daniel, we were given so many awesome quilts and blankets. I wanted to do something special for the twins that not everybody would think of. I came across this quilt on pinterest that is sized to fit on a car seat. It has little ties to attach it to the handle so baby stays cozy warm underneath. I liked the idea and thought it would be something not everyone would give and also something I would have used with my little guy. I followed the tutorial of that car seat quilt to make everything but the quilt top. 


The quilt above I made with Maggie in mind. It's has a lot of the gold fabric and is quilted with a gold thread. 


It looks good on the car seat, too, don't ya think? My little Daniel was such a trooper. It was a warm day and he let me take photographs of him and his giraffe, Sophie without much complaint.



A.J.'s quilt (shown above) has more black in it than Maggie's. It is quilted with black thread, too. 


I like the idea of labels on quilts, but I don't love the plain old "Made by Jessica Toye in Kansas City, MO on January 2013." That's so boring to me. If that's all I can come up with for a label, unfortunately I tend to leave them off the quilt all together. For this pair of quilts, I printed off the Mizzou Tiger head and used my light box to trace the image onto white fabric and wrote the babies a little message. I thought it was a fun little way to spice up the label and throw in just a tad more tiger pride for the Mizzou fans.

The quilting on these is just straight lines. I love the look of straight lines, but every time I do it, there seems to be at least one spot where I get off by a noticeable amount and end up wishing I had done another method. Oh well! Maybe someday I'll remember these things before I do the same thing over again.

I love the way these turned out. I showed my husband the inspiration pin I had in mind and just cut strips and whacked things to get them to the right size. It's a lot of fun to work without a super strict end goal in mind.
I mention pinterest a lot in this post. If you'd like to follow me, you can find me here. I tend to pin a lot of quilting, sewing, baby, and projects for around the house.
-Jessica 

No comments:

Post a Comment