Monday, January 28, 2013

TEXTURES Quilt

I think commissions are fun. Some people dread making projects for people. They are afraid that the person won't like them. I think they are a challenge and try really hard to make sure the person I'm making the quilt for will like it.

Fabri-Quilt asked me to come up with something modern to use as a display quilt to showcase some of their pre-quilted fabric. What?! was my first thought and then about 4 seconds later I thought, ooooh! 


I messed around with my idea a little bit in a sketch book. I played a bit in EQ7 to get an image to send and then added the notes to it. When I emailed them my idea, I said something like:
This is a really rough representation of my idea. Modern quilters are all about improvisional piecing, so I'd like to do a lot of that along the right side where you see the horizontal stripes. I also like the idea of spelling out TEXTURE as an "in your face" way of saying come look at me! I have textures for you to see!
They liked the idea and let me run with it. This is what I came up with.


It's fun when you go to deliver a quilt and the client doesn't know exactly what you will give them. They thought it would be pretty out there, but I think they were really in love. I like the way it came out and really liked the piecing on the right side. It's probably something I will try again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment